Air Force Detains Airman in Attack on U.S. Base in Syria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Air Force has arrested a U.S. service member in connection with an April attack on a small U.S. military base in northeastern Syria that injured four U.S. soldiers, the service said on Tuesday. .

An airman was arrested Thursday at an undisclosed location in the United States in connection with the attack on the Green Village base in Syria, Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said in a statement. . The airman, after completing a tour of duty in Syria, had returned home, she said.

“After reviewing the information from the investigation, the airman’s commanding officer has made the decision to remand him in custody,” Ms Stefanek said in the statement.

The Air Force did not identify the airman or provide details of the incident, but two US military officials said the airman was an explosives expert. Ms Stefanek said the airman had not been charged, adding that “it is too early in the process” to do so, and that the military would release more information if charges were brought.

CNN previously reported the airman’s detention.

Initially, Pentagon officials said they believed the April 7 attack was caused by a rocket or mortar attack. Such attacks have periodically been carried out by militias or terrorist groups against some of the approximately 900 US troops based in Syria, primarily to advise and assist Syrian Kurdish allies on the ground.

But a week later, in a development reported earlier by CNN, military officials said in a statement that the attack may have resulted from the “deliberate placement of explosive charges by one or more unidentified individuals in an ammunition storage area.” and a shower”. .”

The investigation into what military officials now believe was an insider attack at the Green Village site is being led by the Army’s Criminal Investigations Division and the Air Force’s Office of Special Investigations.

The four injured service members were diagnosed and treated for traumatic brain injuries after the blasts but returned to duty later in April, military officials said.

Leave a Comment