David Klemmer Eels transfer blocked, mid-season move, Knights prop, Parramatta Eels, Newcastle Knights, loan deal, transfers, contracts, news

The Parramatta Eels have reportedly been blocked in their attempts to sign Knights enforcer David Klemmer for the remainder of the 2022 season on a loan deal.

Reports circled Sea Eagles prop Marty Taupau would make the short pitch, but that play was dismissed by coach Manly Des Hasler.

Brad Arthur then turned his attention elsewhere in a bid to secure a first rower before the August 1 deadline, but the Knights’ power brokers also rejected the request according to Buzz Rothfield of The Daily Telegraph.

Stream every game from every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season live and ad-free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

“They reached out to Clint Zammit, who passed it on to Adam O’Brien and the upper management of the Knights…they made the decision, and they decided about an hour ago that they wouldn’t carry it out,” said Rothfield on NRL360.

Rothfield revealed there were a number of sticking points that could not be negotiated, including the length of the deal.

The Eels reportedly wanted Klemmer on a short-term loan, but the lively prop wanted a longer contract to extend his stay at Parramatta beyond 2022.

“I think there were too many problems in the deal, David Klemmer, to join Parramatta for those five games, wanted two years, not just the last year of his contract,” Rothfield said.

“And there were a lot of things like that that they couldn’t fix.”

Is O’Brien under pressure at Knights? | 05:59

MORE NRL NEWS

TALKING PTS:Silver lining in the Cleary nightmare of the Panthers; Bellamy’s Great Fear Laid Bare

TEAM TIPS: Kevvie Broncos headache amid star ban, Panthers new look splits in two

‘RIABLE’: Five incidents that highlight staggering inconsistencies in NRL foul play

TRANSFER WHISPERS: Eels desperate call to land Manly star; Roosters Rake Switch

‘COULDN’T UNDERSTAND’: Manly crisis meeting as angry text messages come to light

‘SILLY THING TO SAY’: O’Brien under fire for speaking out amid Knights crisis

“So he would be gone for the rest of this season and then a few more seasons,” Fox League’s James Hooper said.

While the 28-year-old has been one of Newcastle’s best in 2022, Rothfield believes a move for Klemmer was considered by Newcastle power brokers and could have been finalized.

Knights coach Adam O’Brien reportedly met with club bosses on Monday afternoon who it appears ‘didn’t fight too hard to keep him’.

“I can’t sit here and say this definitively, but what I’m hearing inside the club, they wouldn’t have fought too hard to keep him,” Rothfield said.

“If the right deal could have been made, why would it have been? He’s only 28, he’s been around, he’s played Origin, he’s played Test matches.

V’landys moves transfer deadline | 03:02

“I think there’s a feeling around the club that Klemmer hasn’t factored into the game plans like they probably would have hoped this year.

“That he might take one or two too many carries each half, as Joey has been training them during the week to change him or rotate him or whatever.

“I just think he can be a tough guy to train, and that’s why I’m saying I don’t think they would have tried too hard, they wouldn’t have kicked him out, but that’s why. That’s why they entertained Today.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Register now!!

Leave a Comment