European Commission responds after Microsoft Activision comments from staffer receive backlash

The European Commission has clarified allegations of perceived bias in the investigation into Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard deal, following comments from a senior executive on social media.

Ricardo Cardoso, the deputy head of the governing body’s inter-agency and outreach unit, tweeted earlier this week that the “Commission is working to ensure you’ll still be able to play Call of Duty on other consoles ( including my Playstation)”.

The statement, while in line with the body’s remit, was criticized by some gamers for perceived bias by Sony, particularly following Xbox’s repeated assurances that Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation for the foreseeable future.

Now, the European Commission has clarified in a statement to Tweaktown that Cardoso was in no way involved in the process.

Honors Trailer | Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

“Mr Cardoso works in the Director General for the Internal Market and not in the Directorate General for Competition,” the statement said.

“Mr. Cardoso is not involved in the evaluation of this transaction. Also, as his Twitter profile clearly indicates, he tweets in a personal capacity.

On Saturday, Cardoso tweeted the following: “To clarify: I’m not involved in merger review and I don’t even work in the mergers department. As is clear from my profile, my comments are personal and not a position of the Commission, whose decision will be made on the basis of the facts and the law.

To remark: To view this integration, please allow the use of functional cookies in cookie preferences.

In replies to the original tweet, the use of the word “my” in reference to PlayStation seems to have angered fans the most, however, Cardoso was apparently referring to the console he owns, rather than an allegiance to a platform. -form.

The European Commission has officially launched an in-depth investigation into Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

As expected, following its initial investigations into the $68.7 billion deal, the European watchdog said on Tuesday it had opened a “phase II” investigation over competition concerns.

“The Commission is concerned that the proposed acquisition could reduce competition in the markets for the distribution of console and personal computer (“PC”) video games and PC operating systems,” it said.

While the deal has been cleared by regulators in Saudi Arabia and Brazil, the UK Competition and Markets Authority recently extended its investigation into a second phase. He is in the process of inviting members of the public to share their views on the acquisition before making his final decision by March 1.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission could issue its decision on the deal this month.

Microsoft head of games Phil Spencer recently said he thinks scrutiny from regulators is “fair” and “warranted”, and that he remains confident the deal will be approved.