Pennsylvania principal Roger Weaver Freed arrested for 7-year relationship with student

A Pennsylvania high school principal has been arrested and charged with more than 30 criminal sex charges for an inappropriate sexual relationship he had with a male student over a seven-year period.

Roger Weaver Freed, 34, was charged on Tuesday with 30 counts of indecent sexual interference with a student, one count of sexual assault, one count of aggravated indecent assault, one count of corruption of minor and three counts of misdemeanor supplying alcohol to a minor. , according to court records.

Police say Freed began a relationship with the student, who is now college-aged, in 2015 when the boy was in college. The relationship turned sexual two years later and continued after the student graduated from high school until a few months ago – when it ended in April, according to an affidavit.

The student told investigators he first became close to Freed after a family member died. He began leaning on the educator for emotional support and said “he trusted Free ‘like an older brother,'” the document states.

Their relationship quickly grew outside of school, with Freed volunteering to drive the students to various locations so they could have “one-on-one conversations”.

Exterior view of Williamsport Area High School.
Freed is principal of Williamsport Area High School.
Google Maps

The student said he considered himself and the educator “brothers” and that they could talk about anything, including his sexuality. They regularly texted, called and FaceTimed each other, police said.

In 2017, the relationship between Freed and the student turned sexual and the principal asked the boy to promise not to tell anyone, pointing out that he could lose his job.

The student said he felt “overwhelming guilt” after the first sex, according to the affidavit.

The couple continued to engage in sexual activity four to five times a week throughout the student’s next two years of high school. The student told police their relationship continued when he graduated from high school and entered college.

Freed was arraigned Tuesday and released on bail after posting $175,000 bond. He is required to wear an ankle monitor at all times and refrains from any contact with minors or the victim.

Freed, who is employed as principal at Williamsport Area High School, was suspended with pay by the school board, according to PennLive.

Leave a Comment