Prince Andrew to attend Prince Philip memorial service in first appearance since settling sex assault case

Prince Andrew will attend his father Prince Philip’s memorial service next week, his first public appearance since settling a civil sex assault lawsuit.

The Duke of York settled the lawsuit brought by Virginia Giuffre last month for an undisclosed sum.

She had alleged he sexually assaulted her while she was being trafficked for sex by disgraced paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein. The duke denied the claim.

Andrew — who had already stepped back from royal duties — has been stripped of his honorary military titles and roles.

The Duke of York’s attendance at the ceremony was confirmed by the BBC, which also said the Queen “would be expected to attend” the service for her husband.

However the Queen has had to cancel a number of public engagements this year as she battles ill health.

The service will be held at London’s Westminster Abbey on Tuesday, March 29.

Prince Philip died last year at the age of 99.

Who else is going?

Attendance at the service is by invitation only.

Other members of the royal family are expected to attend.

But Prince Philip’s grandson Prince Harry, who lives in the US, has reportedly said he won’t be going.

Buckingham Palace has confirmed foreign attendees will include King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain and Princess Beatrix, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium, Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Norway’s King Harald and Queen Sonja will also travel to London for the service.

Leave a Comment