Queen Elizabeth II has postponed two virtual audiences as she continues to experience cold-like symptoms from COVID-19, Buckingham Palace says.
- It is the second time the Queen has postponed virtual meetings while she recovers from COVID-19
- The Queen spoke to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson yesterday over the phone for their weekly private conversation
- Buckingham Palace says the monarch is still experiencing mild cold-like symptoms after testing positive on February 20
It was the second time that the 95-year-old monarch had cancelled virtual meetings since she was diagnosed with COVID-19 in the week.
She had spoken by telephone with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson yesterday in what was seen as an encouraging sign of her recovery.
The Queen has been holding the virtual meetings since the start of the pandemic, but had recently met with officials and ambassadors in person before contracting COVID-19.
The monarch’s age, COVID-19 diagnosis and a health scare last year have caused worry among officials and the public.
She had spent a night in hospital in October for an undisclosed ailment after cancelling a two-day trip to Northern Ireland, and recently quipped that she was unable to move.
Her positive test for COVID-19 prompted concern and well wishes from members of the public and world leaders.
The palace said Elizabeth, who has been fully vaccinated and had a booster shot, would continue with “light” duties at Windsor Castle while recovering.
The Queen, who is the country’s longest-reigning monarch, has a series of engagements coming up as she celebrates her Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years on the throne.
She is scheduled to host a reception on March 2, which would involve meeting hundreds of diplomats at Windsor.
She is also due to attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 14, followed by a memorial service on March 26 for her late husband, Prince Philip, who died last April aged 99.