Tegucigalpa, Honduras – The United States U-20 Men’s National Team beat Cuba 3-0 to clinch first place in Group E at the 2022 Concacaf U-20 Championship. QuinnSullivan led the dominant offensive performance for the United States as a quick start set the United States up for a convincing victory.
After clinching their place in the round of 16 with a draw against Canada, the United States will now face Nicaragua on Saturday, June 25 (8:30 p.m. ET; ViX and Concacaf App, Facebook and YouTube) to kick off dispatch to the knockout stage. Nicaragua earned a spot directly into the knockout stage through a pre-qualifying tournament.
CONCACAF U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP – FINAL GROUP E STANDINGS
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||0||3||0||-20||0|
*Advanced to Round of 16
USA wasted no time opening the scoring after just two minutes. Caden Clark found the end of a ball deep on the left flank and whipped a cross deep into the box, which Sullivan finished on his first touch to score his first goal of the tournament.
Just six minutes later, a brilliant passing streak ended with the midfielder Alexandre Alvarado Jr. dismissing a one-touch pass into the box for Sullivan, who buried a powerful strike to double the lead. The Philadelphia Union forward completed his hat trick in the 43rd after Paxten Aaronson found him on the run with a long ball over the back line. Sullivan knocked him down, dribbled to the box and finished with an accurate low shot to beat the goalkeeper.
Enjoy the highlights of the game! 👀
🗒️ For the recap of the day, go to https://t.co/IkTzRTv7r0 👈 pic.twitter.com/NzK2JkRRfR
—Concacaf (@Concacaf) June 23, 2022
Despite failing to find the back of the net in the second half, USA put in an outstanding offensive performance as the team’s builder’s play continued to create quality chances. USA outscored Cuba 9-6 on the night, posting five shots on target while limiting the opposition to two. The United States controlled the overall tempo of the match, holding 73% of the ball while spending much of the night in Cuban territory.
- United States – Quinn Sullivan (Caden Clark), 2nd minute – Clark found the end of a through ball on a run down the left flank and played a left-footed cross deep into the box, which Sullivan met with his first touch from five yards out to open the scoring. United States 1, CUB 0
- United States – Quinn Sullivan (Alejandro Alvarado Jr.), 8th minute – Clark played a pass to the feet of Alvarado Jr. near the top of the box and he dropped it on his first touch to Sullivan inside the box on the right side. There, the Philadelphia Union striker unleashed a powerful right-footed shot past the Cuban keeper to double the lead. United States 2, CUB 0
- United States – Quinn Sullivan (Paxten Aaronson), 43rd minute – Aaronson played a long ball over deep midfield to find Sullivan on the run. He dribbled towards the box and landed a right-footed low shot into the net from 18 yards out. United States 3, CUB 0
- Midfielder Quinn Sullivan’s three goals marked his first three of the competition and his second, third and fourth goals for the U-20 MYNT.
- With his hat trick, Sullivan is now tied with four other players for the second most goals at the CU20.
- Sullivan also scored a hat trick in the U-20s 5-3 win at River Plate in a friendly in March.
- The United States are now 4-0-1 against Cuba at the Concacaf U-20 Championship.
- Head coach Mikey Varas made six changes to the roster that faced Canada on Monday. Noah Allen, Caden Clark, Jalen Neal, Niko Tsakiris, Alejandro Alvarado Jr. and Rokas Pukstas replaced Cade Cowell, Daniel Edelman, Marcus Ferkranus, Michael Halliday, Diego Luna and Jack McGlynn.
- Nine players have now scored for the United States at the tournament: Sullivan (three goals), Paxten Aaronson, Cade Cowell, Niko Tsakiris (two goals each), Caden Clark, Mauricio Cuevas, Jack McGlynn, Rokas Pukstas and Tyler Wolff.
- Three players have registered assists for the United States: Clark and Diego Luna (three assists each), Sullivan (two), Aaronson and Alejandro Alvarado Jr.
-US NATIONAL YOUTH UNDER-20 TEAM MATCH REPORT-
Match: United States Men’s National Under-20 Team vs. Cuba
Date: June 22, 2022
Competition: Concacaf U-20 Championship 2022
Venue: National Stadium; Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Kick-off: 8:30 p.m. ET / 6:30 p.m. local time
Time: 70 degrees
Rating Summary: 1 2 F
United States 3 0 3
CUB 0 0 0
United States – Quinn Sullivan (Caden Clark) 2nd minute
USA – Quinn Sullivan (Alexander Alvarado Jr.)
USA – Quinn Sullivan (Paxten Aaronson) 43
United States: 1-Chris Brady; 2-Maurice Caves (captain), 14-Jalen Neal, 5-Brandan Craig, 3-Noah Allen; 20-Rokas Pukstas, 17-Niko Tsakiris, 19-Alejandro Alvarado Jr.; 7-Quinn Sullivan, 10-Paxten Aaronson, 11-Caden Clark
Unused substitutes: 12-Antonio Carrera, 4-Marcus Ferkranus, 6-Daniel Edelman
Head Coach: Mikey Varas
CUB: 1-Ismel Morgan (12-Alejandro Fernandez, 63), 3-Roberto Valdez, 4-Mario Peñalver, 6-Yorlan Duboy (2-Greibel Palma, 46), 8-Luis Ciudad (7-Jose Paradela, 46) , 9-Kevin Quiñones, 13-Ronald Sanchez, 14-Ronaldo Noda, 15-King Angel (16-Kevin Fernandez, 46), 18-Aldair Alvarez, 20-Romario Torrez (Capt.) (19-Osniel Trutiet, 67)
Unused substitutes: 5-Eduardo Hernandez, 10-Dairon Reyes, 11-Alejandro Delgado, 17-Kevin Martin
Coach: Yuneilys Castillo
Stat Summary: USA/CUB
Shots: 9 / 6
Shots on goal: 5 / 2
Backup: 2 / 2
Corner kicks: 2 / 2
Fouls: 17 / 6
Offside: 3 / 2
Summary of misconduct:
CUB – Roberto Valdez (Attention) 13th minute
USA – Jack McGlynn (Attention) 75
USA – Tyler Wolff (Attention) 81
USA – Cade Cowell (Warning) 84
Referee: Selvin Brown (HON)
First assistant referee: Shirley Perello (HON)
Second Assistant Referee: Enedina Caudillo (MEX)
Fourth Official: Said Martinez (HON)
VAR: Katia Garcia (MEX)
VAR Assistant: France Gonzalez (MEX)