Popstar Shawn Mendes has issued a heartbreaking announcement to his fans about his mental health.
The ‘Stitches’ hitmaker, 23, shared a message on his Instagram, revealing he is postponing his US tour after hitting a “breaking point”.
“This breaks my heart to have to say this, but unfortunately I’m going to have to postpone the next three weeks of shows through Uncasville, CT until further notice,” Mendes wrote in a post on Friday.
READ MORE: The Sopranos star Tony Sirico dies age 79
READ MORE: Amber Heard’s attorneys demand court to declare a mistrial in Johnny Depp defamation case
“I’ve been touring since I was 15 and to be honest it’s always been difficult to be on the road away from friends and family.”
Mendes said he believed he was ready to “dive back” into touring around the country, but realised he wasn’t quite ready for the stress of being on the road.
He revealed he would be taking time off from his career to focus on his mental health.
“After a few years off the road, I felt like I was ready to dive back in, but that decision was premature and unfortunately the toll of the road and the pressure has caught up to me and I’ve hit a breaking point,” he continued.
“After speaking with my team and health professionals, I need to take some time to heal and take care of myself and my mental health, first and foremost. As soon as there are more updates I promise I will let you know. Love you guys.”
READ MORE: The fascinating history of the iconic Hollywood sign
Mendes’ announcement was met with a wave of support and love from fans and friends alike.
“Take care of yourself, we love you, stay safe,” one follower wrote. “Take your time king! We will wait for you! ALWAYS!” another said.
The singer only kicked off his tour last week in Portland, Oregon. His postponed dates include most of the first leg of his tour, which included several shows in Connecticut.
Mendes recently revealed that some of his new songs are inspired by his breakup from fellow singer Camila Cabello.
READ MORE: Prince Harry wins first stage of case against The Mail on Sunday over ‘defamatory’ story
The couple broke up in November 2021 after dating for two years.
“Hey guys, we’ve decided to end our romantic relationship but our love for one another is stronger than ever,” a joint statement on Instagram read.
“We started our relationship as best friends and will continue to be best friends. We so appreciate your support from the beginning and moving forward.”
For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here.
Jerry Hall officially files for divorce from Rupert Murdoch