US Air Force service member arrested in connection to insider attack on base in Syria that injured 4 Americans

“As part of an ongoing investigation, on June 16, an airman was taken into custody in the United States in connection with the attack in Green Village, Syria. After reviewing the information from the investigation, the airman’s commanding officer made the decision to remand him in custody. “, according to a statement provided to CNN by Ann Stefanek, spokeswoman for the Air Force.

CNN first reported earlier this month that the US military was investigating whether a US serviceman set off explosives in an insider attack on the small US base in northern Syria that had injured four soldiers in April.

The Pentagon declines to release additional details at this time. “We will not release the name of the individual unless charges are preferred. It is too early in the process for a charge sheet. It will be available if charges are preferred,” the statement read. Charges are expected to be filed in the coming weeks,” Stefanek said.

The investigation into the attack at the Green Village site is being conducted by the Army Criminal Investigations Division and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

“Army CID and Air Force OSI are conducting a joint investigation into the incident. A potential suspect, a member of the U.S. service, has been identified,” the military said in a statement to the Beginning of the month.

Initially, US officials said they believed the April 7 attack was caused by indirect fire on the base similar to the rocket and mortar attacks that were carried out in the area by militias. However, a week later, a military statement said that after “further investigation” the attack was believed to be the result of the “deliberate placement of explosive charges by one or more unidentified individuals in a storage area of ammunition and a shower”.

The explosives used were described to CNN by two officials as “not insignificant” with more detonating power than a hand grenade. An official described the explosives as “military grade”.

Officials said the attack took place in the middle of the night and discovered security footage showing two examples of a fast-moving figure. It is not clear if the two sequences show the same person.

They are also looking to see if sentries have been posted at either location. They say it is unclear whether the timing of the attack suggests the perpetrator was not trying to cause mass casualties or was seeking to flee as quietly and quickly as possible.

The four injured servicemen were diagnosed and treated for traumatic brain injuries after the blasts, but returned to duty later in April.

After the incident, a “commander’s investigation” was initiated by US Central Command, which oversees operations in Syria, but was turned over to CID when it became clear the explosive pattern was not caused by incoming fire, officials said.

The Biden administration maintains about 900 troops in Syria, including special operations forces to advise and assist the Syrian Democratic Forces.

Leave a Comment